Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
• Our next WFA course will take place January 14-15, 2017 on the MU campus in Columbia, Missouri.
• Cost: $150/person ($95 non-refundable deposit required)
• Registration is now open: click here to register. The deadline to enroll is November 25, 2016. You will not be contacted about the course until after registration closes in November 2016.
• This WFA course is also the WFR Recert program. Cost is $170/person for the WFR Recert.
• An additional CPR certification can be added for $35.
• ORG Funding is available for recognized MU student groups.
• Venture Out does not provide lodging or transportation for these courses. Comfort Suites offers a discounted rate of $67 per night. Call them at 573-443-0055 and say you’re coming for the Venture Out WFR or WFA course.
About WFA: WFA is designed specifically for groups and their leaders. This 16-hour program covers topics ranging from preparation and prevention to assessment and treatment. The WFA can also be taken to re-certify those currently holding a WFR certification. Classroom lectures and discussions are supplemented by practical work and problem-solving exercises. The emphasis is always on hands-on experience. Scenarios are an important part of this training.
Outline of what WFA covers:
- The Anatomy of a Wilderness Crisis
- Universal Precautions
- Patient Assessment System
- Rescue Plan
- Patient Lifting & Moving Techniques
- I. Response and Assessment
II. Orthopedics: Trauma – Musculoskeletal Injuries
- Anatomy of the Musculoskeletal System
- Sprains and Strains
- Principles of Fracture Care
- Spinal Cord Injury Management
III. Environmental Emergencies & Survival Skills
- The Human Animal
- Cold Related Injuries
- Heat Related Injuries
- Backcountry Essentials
IV. Soft Tissue Injuries & Medical Emergencies
- Trauma – Soft Tissue Injuries
- Soft Tissue Injuries & Wound Management
- Bandaging Skills
- Medical Emergencies & Critical Care
- Change in Level of Consciousness
- Shortness of Breath
- Chest Pain